[Hand of T. O'Conor]

Kilcooly Parish - local Irish name of - old Church in - old Castle in - Tobermacduach in

Leitrim Parish - local Irish name of - old Church in - old Castle in - Several names of townlands in, identified with their names as given in Inquis. taken at Galway, 1608.

Kilmacragh T.L. - Site of old castle in.

Leitrim - as a barony - 4 Mrs. at A.D. 1582 & 1601, at which latter year -

Leitrim (castle) - is said to be one of the Castles of the Earl of Clanrickard.

Kilteskil Ph. - old Church in ruins in - Ayle (old) Castle in - Kilnabasty in.


[Page 2 is blank]

Loughrea October 27th 1838


Cill Chúile is the Irish pronunciation of the parish of Kilcooly, which is, according to the description given in the Name book, bounded on the N. & N.E. by the parishes of Kilreekil and Abbeygormagan; on the East and S. East by the last named parish; on the S. and S. West by the parish of Kilmeen, and on the South West by the same Parish.

Within a grave yard in the townland of Kilcooly, stand the ruins of an old Church, which Cannot be looked upon as an erection of a remote period.

A breach is visible on the East gable. The South East corner now reduced to the original height of the side walls, remains still, but in bad preservation.


Between this Corner, and West gable, stands a portion of the South side wall, which is detached, and 3 feet 8 inches in length. A portion of the East gable remains attached to the North side wall.

This wall retains its original length and height; and extends, 46 feet to a wall, that separates a western apartment from the Church. This wall is 8 feet high, and runs 20 feet across; being of the same breadth with the Church. There is a quadrangular door {or entrance} on it, within 2½ feet of the S. sidewall, which is 3 feet, 10 inches high, and 2 feet 8 inches broad at the ground.


A rude flag stone is placed over it. This apartment appended to the west, is 8 feet high; 10 feet long, and of the same breadth with the Church. It has a stone roof, and two quadrangular openings, on the side walls, one on each. The opening on the South side wall, is within 2 feet of the ground inside; is 2 feet broad, narrowing outwardly to no more than 1 foot in breadth; and is 3 feet, 8 inches high. The one on North sidewall is 3 feet from the ground, 3 feet broad, and about 3 feet 8 inches high.


On the West gable, over the western apartment, and near S. West Corner, is a quadrangular window made of rudely Cut Stones, which is about 2½ feet high, and 3(?) inches broad.

A holy well called Tobar Mhic Duach, Tobemicduach, lies in the townland of Carrowroe, Ceathramadh Rúadh.

Distant about a quarter of a mile, to the West of the old Church, are seen the ruins of Kilcooly old Castle, which, tradition says, belonged to the Earls of Clanrickard.


The Castle of Killeowly (Killcowly?) {with 5, qr.} was in the possession of Ulick Bourke {3d} Earl of Clanrickard, according to the Inquisition of 1608, taken at Galway, 24th May &c


The name of this parish is locally pronounced Liath Truim in Irish; rectè Liath Druim, a name common to several places in Ireland.

The ruins of the old Church of Leitrim consist at present of the East gable, the North side wall; with a portion of the West gable annexed to it; and a portion of the South side wall, standing isolated.


On the East gable is a window; apparently 5 feet high, and 10 inches broad, where it reaches the outside. It is of lhe lancet style; and begins within 4½ feet of the ground on the inside. The form at top is not discernible, the gable being covered with a heavy Coat of ivy, which conceals totally the window on the outside.

The breadth of the gable is 21 feet. On the North side wall within 3ft. 10inches of it, is a breach not reaching to the top. This wall is 66 feet long, equal [to] the extent of the Church. The portion of the West gable attached to it, is 4 feet in length.


There is on this North wall, a window place, which is now opened at top. It appears to be of the lancet form; is (commences at the height of) 4 feet from the ground and is 4 feet broad in the lower part, inside.

The breadth on the outside is about fourteen inches.

The portion of lhe South side wall standing, is twenty feet long, and approaches to, within 10 feet of the East gable.

St. Erneen's holy well, Tobar Eúrnín, lies in Ballyargadaun T.L. Does the name of this Saint occur in the Calendar, or in any other list of the Irish Saints? Is Erninus in the A.A.S.S.?


The old Castle of Leitrim stands in ruins near the old Church.

The barony of Leitrim is one of the six, that composed the territory of Clanrickard, according to the Inquisition taken at Galway 20th March 1608 before Geoffrey Osbaldstone Esqr. &c., in which it is said, that it was found by an Inquisition taken before John Crofton Esqre. at Athenry 1st October 1584 that Rickard, {2nd} Earl {of Clanrickard} died 24th July 1582, seized in fee and fee taile of several lands among which are mentioned the manor and Castle of Leitrim.


This Inquisition of 1608, also says that Ulick, {3d Earl of Clanrickard} was seized in fee and fee-tayle of several lands together with the manor and Castle of Letrym, viz. Letrym {1 q.} Ballyorgadavyne {2 q.} Lyssnegrey {½ q} Cloghnagananagh {½ q.} Carrowkyle {½ q.} Killyne {½ q.}, the castle of Killmacragh, Ballynlales {1 q.} Grelagh {1 q.}.

Ballyorgadavyne, is now pronounced in Irish, Baile Ui Argadain , to be Anglicised Ballargadaun, the name of a townland about the Centre of Leitrim Parish.


Lyssnegrey, is pronounced, Lios na g-Croidh, to be Anglicised Lissnagry, the name of a townland in this Parish.

Cloghnagananagh - where?

Carrowkyle, is in Irish, Ceathramhadh Caol, Anglicised, Carrowkeel, a townland in this Parish. Killyne, is pronounced Cillín, and Anglicised Killeen, a townland in this parish.

Killmacragh, is in Irish, Cill Mhacrath(Mhacrach?), to be Anglicised Kilmacrah?, written in Name book, Kilmacra {authority B.S. Sketch} a townland in the North end of the parish.


There was a Castle here the site of which, is still visible, a circumstance rendering more certain the identity of the name in the Inquisition with that of the townland.

Ballinlales, is now in Irish, Baile an Laoilis, now Anglicised Ballanlawless, {(qu?) rectè Ballinlawless} the name of a townland in the parish of Kilteskil in the baronies of Loughrea and Leitrim, of which hereafter.

Grelagh, is now pronounced Greallach, and Anglicised Grallagh, a townland in the (N.) West end of the parish of Leitrim.


The Four Masters record in their Annals at the year 1582 that

the sons of the Earl of Clanrickard, Richard* Saxonach, {who died in this year in Galway and was interred at Loughrea} had up to that period {viz, of their father's death} been at peace with each other, but {that then} they opposed each other and repaired as mutual rivals before Sir Nicholas Maulby who was Governor of Connaught. Both afterwards went to Dublin and presented themselves before the head Council, on which occasion peace was established between them on these conditions: Ulick was to succeed his father, as Lord


and Earl, and the barony of Leitrim was to be given to John; their other lands, towns and Church-livings were equally divided between them.

These annalists record also at the year 1601, that

Redmond Burke, {who was son of John Burke, who was son of Richard Saxonach, having hired a number of soldiers in the north,} passed, notwithstanding the vigilance of the Earl (Ulick Burke) into the Clanrickard, on the 13nth of the month of March, without being heard or noticed by him and proceeded onwards to the territory of Kinel-Feichin to the South of the Barony of Leitrim in the County of Galway


At the break of day on the following morning, Redmond sent forth marauding parties through every townland of that territory, from Magh-glass to Crannog-Meg-Cuaimhin and from Coill- Chreac(bhreac?) to the Mountain, and before the noon of that day, he had made himself

*Rickard (2nd) Earl, died 24th July 1582. See Inquis. taken at Athenry 1st Octber. 1584 referred to above.

master of all the property and moveable effects of that territory. Shortly afterwards, he went to reside in the woods situated in the upper part of that territory and for four or five days wandered about from place to place, plundering the neighbours and fortifying his Camp; until the Earl of Clanrickard, accompanied by all the troops, he had been


able to muster in the territory, arrived and pitched his camp at the Monastery of Kenel-Feichin. Thus they {i.e. the Earl and Redmond} remained for four or five days {during which time some persons of low rank were slain on both sides}, until Teige, the son of Brian na Murtha, who was son of Brian Ballach, who was son of Owen O'Rourke, arrived with a number of bold and well armed troops, to assist Redmond.

When the Earl perceived that these two parties were united against him; he left his Camp and passed into Clanrickard. The others pursued him as far as Loughreagh,


and because the Earl and his people effected their escape from them on the occasion, they traversed, plundered and burned the Country from Leitrim, to Ard-maoldubhain, and as far as the Gate of Feadán in the West of Kenel Aodha.

When Redmond arrived with his bands on the frontiers of Thomond, he pitched his Camp at the western side of Loughcutra, where he was joined by a nobleman of the Dalcassians, Teige, {the son of Torlogh, who was son of Donall, who was son of Conor} O'Brien, who had adopted this step in compliance with the advice and solicitations


of bad and foolish men, and without Consulting or taking Counsel of his father, or the Earl of Clanrickard, who was his Kinsman and friend. Here he entered into a Confederacy with the sons of John Burke, and in the Course of three days afterwards, requested them to accompany him on an excursion to some part of Thomond. This request was not refused; for he was accompanied by some of the Chiefs from the Camp, with their Kerns. Among these Chiefs, were William, the son of John Burke, and the grandson of the Mac William, viz Walter, the son of William, who was son of David, who was son of Edmond, who was son of Ulick. On leaving the camp, they passed along the borders of Kinel-Aodha


and(?) Echtghe (Cenel. Aodha na h-Echtghe), and Kinel-Donnghaile, and sent forth marauding parties on both sides of the River Fergus. ***

A great number of the Queen's people, came from various places, to assist the Earl of Clanrickard. Among others, eight or nine Companies of soldiers were sent from the President of the two provinces of Munster: the Earl's own son also, who had been for some time before along with the Lord Chief Justice, joined him with a number of foreign youths; and the Deputy of the Governor of the Province of Connaught, repaired to his aid with a body of troops from Galway.


As soon as the sons of John Burke had heard of this muster they marched back east of the Mountain, until they reached the fastnesses in the territory of Kinel-Fechin, where they remained in their former tents. They had not been long here when the sons of the Earl viz. the Baron of Dun-Cuillin {Dunkellin} and Sir Thomas Burke and as many of his sons as were capable of bearing arms, arrived in the territory in pursuit of them at the head of a very numerous force and pitched a splendid and extensive Camp in the very middle of the territory.


The Earl of Clanrickard himself was not in the Camp, for he had fallen severely ill of an acute disease on the week before; so that he was not able to undertake an expedition.

When the Deputy of the Governor of Connaught, and the Baron of Dun Cuillinn {Dun Kellin} had received intelligence that Teige O'Brien was severely wounded in the Camp of Redmond Burke, they sent him a protection in the Queen's name upon which he went to them, and the Baron sent an escort with him to Leitrim, one of the Earl's Castles, &c.



This parish lies in the baronies of Loughrea and Leitrim, and is, according to the description in the Name book, bounded on the North and West by the parishes of Kilmeen, Loughrea, and Killeenadeema in the barony of Loughrea, and on the South and East by those of Ballinakill and Leitrim in the Barony of Leitrim<.

The Irish name of it is Cill Teiscil. I heard it pronounced Cill Túiscil by some persons.


The old Church of Kilteskil is in a state bordering on a Confused heap of ruins, and exhibits no architectural features sufficient to indicate its age. One quadrangular opening remains on the South side towards the East.

The parish goes commonly (also) by the name of Ayle, which is at present the name of a Castle standing in ruins within Doctor Farrel's Demesne.

It stands on a rock, from which circumstance it obtained the name of Áill, {Aylle}.

In this parish is Ballinlawless T.L. which is identified with Ballynlales in the Inquisition (above) referred to under Leitrim parish.

On the East side of the mearing between Ballinlawless and Shragh(an)nananta {Srathann 'a Neanta, rectè, Shrahan nananta?} T.Ls. - lies Cill na b-Paistidhe, Kilnabasty, grave yard.

[In pencil in left-hand margin:] I go towards Mount Shannon; & can write no more letters till I return.

Your obedient Servant,
T. O'Conor