Information about Monivea
Information from O'Donovan's Field Name Books
Irish Form of Name:
4 Masters, brake of the metheglin
Other Forms of the Name with authority source (if provided) in italics:
Parish of Monivea
Parish of Monivea B.S. Sketch Map
Monivea Carlisle’s Top. Dictionary
Monivea Not on Orig. County Map
The Ph. contains in all about 21,930 acres. It is for the most part poor shallow soil thickly inhabited and badly cultivated. In the Western side of the Ph. there are three large tracts of bog, the remainder is a limestone district and from the numerous subterranean passages through which the water is carried off the inhabitants are subject to great inconvenience during seasons of drought. The small village of Monivea in which is situated the Ph. Church stands nearly central. The portion belonging to this Barony is the property of Mahon Esq. who has a neat and fashionable residence called Belville. The greatest part is pasture.
In the County and about 16 miles N.E. of the town of Galway in the Baronies of Tiaquin, Clare and Kilconnell, bounded on the N. by the Parish of Abbeyknockmoy, E. by Moylough, S. by Athenry and West by Lackagh and Abbey. The S.W. extremity of the Ph. is the portion situated in the Barony of Clare and contains about 1654 acres.
Information from the Ordnance Survey Letters:
The Ordnance Survey Letters are letters between John O'Donovan and his supervisor, Thomas Larcom, regarding the work of compiling the Field Books. These letters provide further discussion on many of the places listed in the Field Books.
References to this place can be found in the following letter.
If you notice any inaccuracies with any of the above, please e-mail
©Galway Public Library.