Information about Kilkilvery

Information from O'Donovan's Field Name Books

Standard Name:
Irish Form of Name:
Cill Cilbhire
Kilvery’s Church
Civil Parish:
Other Forms of the Name with authority source (if provided) in italics:
Cill Cilbhire
Kilkilvery Beaufort’s Map of Ireland
Kilkilvery Parish By. Surveyors Sketch
Kilkilvery Carlisle’s Topl. Dictionary
Kilkilver County Map
Kill Killvery Down Survey 1655
Kilkilvery Printed Townland List
This parish contains 49 Protestants and 1,609 Roman Catholics according to the information furnished by the respective Clergymen Rev. John Mara, Headford Glebe and Rev. John Molloy who resides on the townland of Ballycolgan. Fairs are held on the 11th of May and 14th of October at the Fair Green of Headford which stands in this parish. The crops generally sown are wheat, oats and potatoes. They are generally carried for sale to the market of Headford where wheat and oats are bought and carried to Galway and Westport for exportation.
Information from the Ordnance Survey Letters:
The Ordnance Survey Letters are letters between John O'Donovan and his supervisor, Thomas Larcom, regarding the work of compiling the Field Books. These letters provide further discussion on many of the places listed in the Field Books.
References to this place can be found in the following letters.
  • Volume 1 page 201
  • Volume 1 page 356

Information From Joyce's Place Names

Translation according to P. W. Joyce:
Kill alone is the name of more than a score of places in various counties: in most cases it stands for cill, a church: but in some it is for coill, a wood.