Information about Killimordaly

Information from O'Donovan's Field Name Books

Standard Name:
Irish Form of Name:
Cill Iomair
St. Imor’s Church
Civil Parish:
Other Forms of the Name with authority source (if provided) in italics:
Cill Iomair
Killimer Daly B.S.
Killimerdaly Beaufort’s Map
Killerdaly County Map
Killimore Down Survey 1655
Killymor Printed Townland List
Killimer Daly Rev. Joseph Seymour of Cauraunmore
This parish contains 10,212 statute acres and is of an irregular form. Its greatest length from N. to South being about 6 miles and breadth from E. to W. 5½ miles. It is very level and a considerable portion of it is flow bog. There is neither town or village in it. The rearing and breeding of sheep form a principal part in the employment of farmers.
Situated in the baronies of Killconnel, Tiaquin and Athenry, 4 miles S.E. of Monivea, 5 miles E. of Athenry and 5 miles N. of Loughrea and in the E. of the County of Galway.
Information from the Ordnance Survey Letters:
The Ordnance Survey Letters are letters between John O'Donovan and his supervisor, Thomas Larcom, regarding the work of compiling the Field Books. These letters provide further discussion on many of the places listed in the Field Books.
References to this place can be found in the following letter.
  • Volume 1 page 462 to page 469

Information From Joyce's Place Names

Translation according to P. W. Joyce:
Kill alone is the name of more than a score of places in various counties: in most cases it stands for cill, a church: but in some it is for coill, a wood.