Information about Lickmolassy
Information from O'Donovan's Field Name Books
Irish Form of Name:
St. Molaise’s flag stone
Other Forms of the Name with authority source (if provided) in italics:
Lickmolassy Parish Barony of Longford, Co. of Galway By. Sketch Map
The whole of this parish is arable except a few small portions of bog. It contains the town of Portumna, 5 Demesnes viz. Fairy Hill, Well Mount, Palmerstown House, Laurel View and the Demesne of Portumna, which contains about 1400 acres. It has 3 Glebes and near the town of Portumna are the ancient ruins of a Castle and Abbey. It is intersected by several roads, the principal one leads from Portumna to Eyrecourt and Loughrea. It contains some considerable portion of wood at the S. extremity.
Bounded N. by the parishes of Killimor Bologue and Kilquain or Quansborough, on the S. by Lough Derg, on the E. by the River Shannon and on the West by the parish of Teena in the Barony of Leitrim.
Information from the Ordnance Survey Letters:
The Ordnance Survey Letters are letters between John O'Donovan and his supervisor, Thomas Larcom, regarding the work of compiling the Field Books. These letters provide further discussion on many of the places listed in the Field Books.
References to this place can be found in the following letter.
If you notice any inaccuracies with any of the above, please e-mail
©Galway Public Library.