Information about Lickmolassy
Information from O'Donovan's Field Name Books
Irish Form of Name:
St. Molaise’s flag stone
Other Forms of the Name with authority source (if provided) in italics:
Glebe part of Lickmolash or Lickmolassy
Glebe part of Lickmolash or Lickmolassy Boundary Sketch Map
Glebe part of Lickmolash or Lickmolassy [name left blank] County Book
Glebe part of Lickmolash or Lickmolassy [name left blank] County Map
Glebe part of Lickmolash or Lickmolassy [name left blank] H. C. Survey & Val. Reports
Glebe part of Lickmolassy Mr. George Bethel
Glebe part of Lickmolassy Mr. Rush
Contains the ruins of a church, a grave yard, two houses, one of which is in ruins. This townland is arable.
Bounded on the East by Graagakhilleen and all the other sides by Lickmolash or Lickmolassy.
Information from the Ordnance Survey Letters:
The Ordnance Survey Letters are letters between John O'Donovan and his supervisor, Thomas Larcom, regarding the work of compiling the Field Books. These letters provide further discussion on many of the places listed in the Field Books.
References to this place can be found in the following letter.
What is a townland?:
A townland is one of the smallest land divisions in Ireland. They range in size from a few acres to thousands of acres. Many are Gaelic in origin, but some came into existence after the Norman invasion of 1169
If you notice any inaccuracies with any of the above, please e-mail
©Galway Public Library.