Information about Killursa
Information from O'Donovan's Field Name Books
Irish Form of Name:
St. Fursey's Church
Other Forms of the Name with authority source (if provided) in italics:
Killursa Beaufort's Map of Ireland
Killursa Parish By. Surveyors Sketch Map
Killursa Carlisle's Topographical Dictionary
Killursa County Map
Killersa Down Survey 1655
Killursa Printed Townland List
This parish contains 164 Protestants and 3,500 Roman Catholics according to the information furnished by Revd. John Mara, Headford Glebe, and Revd. Richard Walsh, P.P., who resides in the townland of Headford. There is a Market held weekly on Tuesdays in Headford and Fairs held on the 11th of May and 14th of October at the Fair green and townland of Headford. The fairs are held partly in the Town and partly at the fair green of Headford, although the fair green stands in the parish of Kilkilvery. The crops generally sown are potatoes and wheat. There is also some oats and a little flax and they are generally carried for sale to the market of Headford where they are bought and carried to Galway and to Westport for exportation. The soil is generally light and rocky. The manure generally used is the litter of cattle mixed with clay. They also bring seaweed by Lough Corrib from Galway. Wages of farm servants males from £3 to £4 per annum, Females from 28s. to 40 shillings per annum with Board . Labourers 10D. per day in Spring and 6D. at other seasons. Petty sessions are held weekly at Headford, although the Courthouse stands in Kilkilvery Parish. Headford is said to have been the scene of a Battle [Unable to read.] from the mass of human heads or sculls[Unable to read.] found in the stream is called Headford.
Table of Schools
|Townland in which established||Protestants||Catholics||Males||Females||Total||How Supported||When Established|
|Headford||50||10||0||60||60||Mr. St. George||1834|
|Ower||0||120||90||30||120||National Board of Subscription||1832|
|Greenfield||0||35||25||10||35||Pupils pay rents||1810|
Information from the Ordnance Survey Letters:
The Ordnance Survey Letters are letters between John O'Donovan and his supervisor, Thomas Larcom, regarding the work of compiling the Field Books. These letters provide further discussion on many of the places listed in the Field Books.
References to this place can be found in the following letters.
Information From Joyce's Place Names
Translation according to P. W. Joyce:
Kill alone is the name of more than a score of places in various counties: in most cases it stands for cill, a church: but in some it is for coill, a wood.
If you notice any inaccuracies with any of the above, please e-mail
©Galway Public Library.